While the roots of watchmaking lie firmly in the human heart and in the mountains, the House of Audemars Piguet was born in the village of Le Brassus in the Vallée de Joux in Switzerland.
This remote valley naturally provided opportunities for patient observation of human nature; a chance to take the pulse of a swiftly changing society. The organization of transport and of work, radically transformed by the industrial revolution, saw the emergence of engineers, entrepreneurs, and long-distance travelers. Jules Louis Audemars and Edward Auguste Piguet soon grasped the nature of these new types of individuals. It was with them in mind that they clearly defined the vocation of the House. The latter was to be dedicated to developing and entirely making watches with complex mechanisms (referred to within the trade as “complications”) that would push back the limits of human intelligence and the art of horology.
Complications designed to enhance precision; practical, technical and astronomical complications: the challenge was not merely personal, but instead of a universal and daily nature within the Manufacture that in 1882 unveiled a Grande Complication pocket watch with central minutes counter. This model was followed ten years later by the first wristwatch with a minute repeater. The commitment of Jules Louis Audemars and Edward Auguste Piguet reflects deeply held convictions. Here in the Vallée de Joux, mutual trust and respect are the cornerstone of human relations. The two men instated exclusive ties with their customers, an approach that became a full-fledged corporate philosophy, backed by their determination to focus on inventiveness.
A HISTORY OF INDEPENDENCE
Today, Audemars Piguet is still the oldest fine watch-making manufacturer never to have left the hands of its founding families. This gives the company an independent streak that allows it to go its own way and follow its own unique vision.
The spirit of independence inherent in our company was eloquently expressed in 1972 when the Royal Oak shook up existing watchmaking conventions by breaking free of the prevailing design codes. Forty years have passed, yet Audemars Piguet is still fired by the same enthusiasm, and the legend of the Royal Oak continues to be perpetually reinvented.
Loyal to the spirit of the Vallée de Joux and in keeping with its inherited values of innovation and fine craftsmanship, the Manufacture in Le Brassus produces exclusive watches imbued with the spirit of the place where they were born. Crafted by watchmakers’ eager to give of their very best, they reflect a constant obsession with quality and with perfect finishing, as well as a vocation for the complex mechanisms characteristic of the valley. Each Audemars Piguet watch collection has its own distinct personality, eloquently testifying to time-honored know-how as well as to the impressive capacity of innovation cultivated by our venerable House.
In 1875 Jules Louis Audemars, decided to join forces with Edward Auguste Piguet, in order to develop and craft watches equipped with complex mechanisms. They shared a passion for watchmaking and a mastery of the art of precision that still characterizes the company today.