There are few names within the elite of Swiss “Haute Horlogerie” as rich in history and evocative as Girard-Perregaux. The activities of our Firm go as far back as 1791, giving us more than two centuries of heritage that forms the foundation of what we are today.
Ultra-thin 1805, Florentine Ducat 1840, Small Book 1860.
Girard-Perregaux, a family history.
Constant Othenin-Girard (or Girard) began his watchmaking career initially in partnerships, under a variety of collective names. In 1854 he married Marie Perregaux (1831-1912), the product of a watchmaking family from Le Locle, and together they founded the Manufacture in La Chaux-de-Fonds which to this day bears their combined surnames (1856).
The Girard-Perregaux Firm quickly became one of the market's biggest players. Among the pioneers in introducing the Swiss watch to the Americas, it set up offices there in various cities, in both the North and South.
Coming from a family background of watchmaking traders, Henri Perregaux began his career in the family business at an early age: he took over from his prematurely deceased father. But the business proved difficult, to the point that in 1860, the decision was made to liquidate the establishment. Henri then went into the service of his brother-in-law, Constant Girard-Perregaux. When the latter decided to open a sales office in the Americas, for a better grip on this enormous, promising market, it was Henri Perregaux that he called on to head it up.